From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Anthony Robb
Sent: 07 January 2011 10:52
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu; rob....@milecastle27.co.uk; Gibbons, John
Subject: [NSP] Re: Concertina Tuning

   What you say is true, but still ignores Paddy Maloney's point of adding
   drones further into (even 'proper') pipes tunes for greater impact.
   We also have to remember that out of tune drones (and this
   unfortunately is the norm it seems to me) do little to enhance the
   music. This is true even in the most surprising quarters i.e. modern
   recordings where retakes could be done fairly easily to correct this.
   Yes drones are wonderful and powerful but this power can also be, and
   all too often is, destructive.
   Anthony