On 8 Jan 2011, Victor Eskenazi wrote:

> my pipes have sat for too long

> 1 - the weather here is  very damp

Where is "here" (roughly)?

>turns out the joints are stuck.
> any suggestions on how to unstick them - without waiting for the right

brief immersion in hot water or gently heating with a hot air gun on a lowish
setting (depends on model), followed by a gentle twisting action. I'm assuming
this
is primarily the drone slides though the air gun would work on chanter stock
joints
too. Mind the chanter foot if it's plastic - the gun could melt it if used
incautiously. And mind your fingers on any ferrule in the area you are heating.

> 2 - any suggestions on cleaning the green off the brass?

Methylated spirit (the purple stuff in the UK -industrial alcohol elsewhere?),
applied with a cloth, followed by brass polish. And don't use olive oil or keep
your set shut in a box in the future - it aggravates the verdigris problem at
the
least. The jury is out on whether it actually causes it.

Good luck
Julia