< blend their pipes
>   failry pleasantly at A=446.

Do you mean tuning your nominal G to the F you get on an equal temperament
tuner if you set it to A = 446?
Or do you mean tuning the nominal B to 446?

These two possibilities would yield different results. (a higher nominal G in
the second case).

 <This is 8 Hz sharper than the chanter in question

If you mean the first possibility, the nominal bottom G on this chanter would
be somewhere around concert pitch (maybe it was intended to be. Do we know the
maker, or what the customer requested.

>   especially as the chanter has a top B which is already 25
>cents flat.
>   I'd be interested to see the results of the cotton bud
>plunger trials
>   before changing anything to do with the set up.

I'm sure you're correct, but it sounds as though the top B definitely needs
attention.