On 9 Feb 2011, Francis Wood wrote:

>   What
> Julia said was that when a reed was first put in the chanter it was
> said to have played at F+20. I took that to be an interesting and
> amusing anecdote without any specific conclusions to be drawn from it
> [is that correct, Julia?]

When I was told it, it was with a little surprise, I think - they had perhaps
expected it to be sharper. That it played in easily with other pipers was felt
be an immediate bonus.

> However, he acknowledges that the
> performance at F+20 of that historic set is not ideal at the present
> pitch

My understanding is that they both regard it as a work in progress. It sounds
very
agreeable, although Andrew remarked that they are not yet happy with it.
He played a solo set and then folk got a chance to look at it. If he is
compensating for non-ideal tuning then it is certainly not obvious from his
playing
 that anything is amiss.

I find my own (modern made) ivory set has a more
brilliant tone than the equivalent in wood, even using the same reed.
If I were to nit-pick on Monday's playing, I would say I would be interested to
see
if the fettling team can coax a bit more brilliance from it, but maybe this is
not
what Andrew is looking for.

> I have recorded hole positions from several Reid chanters.
> their original position is usually indicated
> very clearly on the opposite wall of the bore where the Reid drill
> made contact.

This can also be seen on some modern sets (various makers), although I have
been
taught to put a rod down the bore before drilling to prevent it happening! (And
had
the bore inspected closely to check I'd done so!)
Sets have been observed where the maker has absent-mindedly drilled right
through
the far side, I believe.