>   Tune in E maj on G chanter - the A part has about 78 notes and 62 of
>   them are played on the right thumb so even electronic pipes
>don't help
>   unless of course you cheat by electronically transposing.

Assuming that Catriona's fiddle was at concert pitch and that she was playing
in E major, I think the most likely explanation for the pipes would be that
Alice was playing a chanter in concert F sharp. In nominal terms this would put
her in F, with B flat the only "unusual" note.

On a concert F chanter she would have to have been playing in nominal F sharp
(ouch) and on a D chanter in nominal A.
It would be interesting to know what she was in fact playing.