Hi Adrian,

Seems to me to be a very small Bassoon, double reed --- lots of keys,
you know the one that developed from the Dulcian (one or two keys only),
that is used in all styles of music. The Dulcian lost favour and now is
little known outside renaissance circles. I would think that the same
happened to the NS and was  lucky enough to have some avid followers who
prolonged it lifespan by adding keys, but this is pure conjecture.
Why strangle development ? Hotteterre and Boismortier had a lot more to
do with NS than most people know. Hotteterre (late 1600) added the first
stacatto smallpipe to a bagpipe, Boismortier made his living from
wriring music playable on smallpipes --

Alice, I find, has a refreshing view of the instruments possibilities,
which in turn may well extend the lifespan of the instrument which is no
bad thing.  It keeps makers and teachers and in business and live music
live.

If Alice were to choose a second instrument I would recommend Bassoon,
where agile thumbs are a necessary part of playing.

Anyway the list has been quiet

Thumbs up

Dave S