Hello Richard,

I think we pretty much agree.

Who, for example,  would want to play Rothbury Hills in a staccato manner?

(Who, indeed would want to play RH in any manner whatsoever, some might
interject.)
However it was composed by a significant piper who happened to be the official
piper to the Duke of somewhere or other. So like it or not, it's part of the
tradition.
Often improved, if you get the chance to hear it, by Inky-Adrian's farmyard
impressions.

That harpsichord comparison is mightily good, since that and the NSP have some
principles remarkably in common.
However, I think we differ over the harpsichord's ability to play
'long-sustained'.  That has as much to do with what the contemporary listener
actually heard, knowing the style and nature of the music, rather than the
acoustic output of the instrument.

While we're usefully on this topic, here's an opportunity to quote one of the
greatest of harpsichordists in one of the bitchiest-ever remarks about taste:

"Well, you play Bach your way and I'll play him his way".

That was Wanda Landowska. Much quoted in that remark, though it turns out that
it was playfully said to a dear colleague and longtime friend, the cellist
Pablo Casals.

Baaaa! . . . Mooo! . .  .. Oink-oink!!!

Francis