>However, I think we differ over the harpsichord's ability to
>play 'long-sustained'.

I was having this discussion with my wife the other day (she plays keyboards
rather better than I can), so I went to the harpsichord and tried it to check.
Just like on a piano, if you hold a key down, the damper remains out of contact
with the string, which sustains longer than it would if you released the key
immediately. Not as long as on the piano of course, but there's a difference
between staccatissimo and simple separation. Maybe the term should be
"short-sustained".

As regards "detached" fingering, it's interesting that the term "détaché" when
applied to bowing of a string instrument does not imply a silence between the
notes. It merely means that you change bow direction for each note, making a
fresh start, rather than slurring two or more together. The on-the-string
bowing with a silence between notes is called "martelé". "Staccato" means
separating notes with a silence while staying on the string but not changing
the direction of the bow. Then of course there's all the off-the-string stuff.

"Staccato" in Italian means "separated". It does not mean "short".

Playing NSP with a fresh start to each note but not necessarily a clearly
audible silence can sound very pleasant, at least to my ears, and of course you
need to be able to do the staccatissimo in the first place to do it reliably
because the timing has to be phenomenally precise. The "look mummy, no legato"
(or dripping tap) way of playing just sounds like a technical exercise. To do a
good détaché it helps to have a good martelé to begin with. I would argue that
the martelé was the "basic stroke" just like the staccato is the basic way of
playing NSP.