On 21 Jun 2011, at 23:13, barr...@nspipes.co.uk wrote:

> PS my spellchecker offered as alternatives to 'stratocaster': 'toastmaster'
> or castrated.  Ah! the wonders of a digital age.

Don't know about 'toastmaster', but 'castrated' is a proper musical term.
In Italian, that is.

More seriously, a good post, Barry.

'Staccato' as a useful description works just fine for me. I've not found the
need to refine a very precise meaning, but it conveys a common concept to most
people.

'Detached' is not an equivalent, though. I'll play a slow air, or everything
else for that manner with 'detached fingering' because that's how a stopped
chanter works. And it's not the opposite of 'legato'!  I take 'detached
fingering' to mean only that and nothing more. Only one finger off at any time,
with either an infinitesimal or a more pronounced gap between notes. Once it is
more noticeable, then it's staccato.  'Meggy's Foot' to take an extreme example
and 'Lads of Alnwick' less so. 'Rothbury Hills' or whatever, hardly at all.

Francis