Quoting Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com>:

Another 'traditional' tune, J.L Dunk's Whin Shields on the Wall was unplayable nonsense when given to the NPS in a literate-looking but impossible manuscript. Someone, probably the editor Gilbert Askew has bashed it into the excellent Whinshield's Hornpipe.

I think that Francis is being unkind to Mr James Delanoy Dunk. Mr Dunk was heavily involved in the highbrow music scene of London in the early part of the last century. His sister, Susan Spain-Dunk achieved some recognition as a Classical composer.

http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2009/09/susan-spain-dunk-note-in-music-student.html

James' writings on music theory are widely regarded as incomprehensible but they reveal someone who has thought deeply about the nature of music. Perhaps he has thought too deeply, for that way madness lies!

I suspect that Whin Shields on the Wall as submitted was an attempt to make a work which would bring the NSP into the Classical repertoire of the time. I can make no sense of it but then I have no feeling for the works of Schonberg, Stockhausen, Bertwhistle or Cage. I leave such matters to others in the same way as I leave aside recent attempts to take NSP into the world of contemporary classical music. These ventures simply hold no interest for me.

The Lass of Falstone is a pretty good tune though.

Barry