Francis Wood said;
I must say, I greatly prefer Gilbert Askew's re-working of this tune to the reworking of the abc below!

Well you would, it has the familiarity of long association.

What Dunk submitted in manuscript to the NPS was no scribble. Its appearance looks plausible and musically literate and >there's no doubt at all as to the intentions of its content.
The problem is that it remains musical nonsense.

I haven't seen the original ms, but in the abc of it the "traditional" tune form is immediately obvious.
As I said , all that is missing is the punctuation.
The question must therefore be why did Askew choose to re-write the tune or could he not see what should have been staring him in the face either.

And Barry;
I would like to hear an audio clip of your version. I for one do not
read well enough to appraise your ABC

I'll give it a run through on the pipes in the next day or two and try to record it. So far I've only played it from the abc file on the computer (melody assistant) as Rapper dancing at a very wet Rothbury festival has left little time available this weekend. I did run into Hamish Moore though who was playing bodhran with the Irish dancers band.
Pipe makers on their days off eh?

If I get it done I'll stick it on some web space and let you know. I'm not going down the utube route.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Shaw, Northumbrian and Scottish Smallpipes, Irish Pipes and SHAW Whistles
www.daveshaw.co.uk