Richard

Thanks - I note KT is on Woman's Hour now! (10:40) Listen Again?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
richard.hea...@tiscali.co.uk
Sent: 02 August 2011 09:21
To: NPS Forum; NSP Dartmouth
Subject: [NSP] Info: BBC Prom tonight

Hi,
Just information - there is a late night BBC Prom to be broadcast
tonight (Tuesday 2nd August 2011) at 22:15 BST, lasting until 23:45.
Its theme is music collected and arranged by Percy Grainger and it
is performed by June Tabor (singer), the Wilson Family (Shanty
singers), the Katrhyn Tickell Band (needs no introduction), the BBC
Singers (men's voices) and the Northern Sinfonia.

My impression is that the traditional musicians might be "reverse
engineering" Grainger's work to revitalise it in a more modern 'folk'
context.  A very short feature on the BBC Breakfast programme this
morning showed Kathryn playing a tune collected by Grainger in a way
reflecting a traditional style of piping, as in "the old tunes with
their lilts and pauses and variations".

Richard