Very sad news.
I knew Ray best back in 1984, when I was visiting Colin regularly to learn pipe-making. Ray was often around, always kind and welcoming, and sometimes gave me a meal with them if I stayed on to go with Colin to the pipe-making evening class he taught at that time. As it says in the Guardian obituary, she did indeed have - " a gift for making people laugh, with witty comments", and she would often have dryly witty observations to make on the obsessions and characters of the piping world! Incidentally, the obituary describes Colin as "fiddler and Northumbrian piper" - so it seems pipe making has not yet entered the radar of mainstream journalism.

Later, Ray sometimes helped Elizabeth with sourcing material for pipe-bag covers, and they were able to share and compare notes on being married to pipe-makers!

We both send our sympathy to Colin.

Philip