I had this problem--I tried a backup to another computer via SSH, and
the "sbackupd" process would change to "zombie" state. (You can see this
in Gnome System Monitor by clicking the "View" menu, then "All
Processes".)

I had just installed Simple Backup Config, as far as I can remember. I
tried doing a backup to the default location (i.e. /var/backup) and that
worked. So then I wanted to stop the backup, only way that worked was to
reboot (killing sbackupd didn't stop the backup files from growing!).
After the reboot, the SSH backup worked just fine. Maybe it has to do
with logging in & out, or rebooting???

Hope that helps.

--
sbackup goes into zombie status