I've now tested the thing on Ubuntu 10.04 beta2 (i.e. Lucid Lynx), all
updates installed, using the latest PPA code (0.2-0 RC8). Unfortunately,
I still cannot confirm the max. size issue you are encountering.

Here is what I did in order to test it:
1. fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 beta2 (as virtual machine, but this should
really make no differences)
2. installation of available updates
3. installation of nssbackup from ppa using the source 'ppa:nssbackup-team/ppa'
4. I've copied some files into my documents folder, one of the files was the
Adobe Reader installer with 48 MiB
5. set up a configuration in nssbackup configuration gui and activated the max.
size option set to 12 MiB (make sure the configuration is saved afterwards,
sometimes there are issues when typing a number directly into a spinner box)
6. started the backup from the config-gui

I've tested the procedure several times, as user and with administator
rights - for me it works. Files greater than the specified max. size
were not backuped.

Nevertheless, I got some questions that may help to shed some light on your
problem:
* Did you tried to set up a minimal configuration in order to test only the
max. size feature? If not, could you.
* Do you use several profiles? If yes, is the default profile causing the
problem?
* Are you running nssbackup as user or admin?

Probably something is going wrong but currently I have no idea.
Would you attach your configuration file?

Thank you for your help.

--
ignores maxsize setting
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/557415