  _____

From: Peter Marchant [mailto:e3soluti...@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 25 May 2009 18:08
To: 'Parma Juss'; 'Marcus Chantry'; mar...@australasiancollege.com.au;
'Darrell Yates'; 'Duncan McLean'; 'Graeme Fitzsimmons'; Morris, Lee SGT;
les.ll...@veoliawater.com; 'Mark'; 'Michael Lewis';
nswolves@googlegroups.com; 'Paul Johnson'; 'Steve Lewis'; 'Trevor Jones';
'Wayne Pannell'; xtremefloorcoveri...@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Accommodation in Perth

Hi folks,

Firstly, congratulations on your promotion to the glitzy, plastic league.  I
personally hope you will hang around longer this time – you deserve it.

I am on this distribution list as I am on old friend of Marcus Chantry.
However, I should point out that I am a Pompey fan and have also seen a
number of Glory games over the years.  I was originally going to be sitting
with you lot but have advised Marcus that I will free up my seat for one of
the other Wolves fans.  I will be at the game though.

However, in the interests of maintaining good relationships with the proper
fans of proper teams (i.e. our respective replica shirts are not available
at K-Mart); I am more than happy to field any queries about your trip to
Perth.  I live 10 minutes walk from the ground and know the local pubs,
hotels and nightlife areas pretty well.  Of course, you probably have
thousands of Wolves fans here in Perth to give you some advice, but just in
case, here are some initial tips:

*          Be careful in Northbridge – at night it can make Kings Cross seem
like Double Bay!  If you must venture in there, the best pubs are the
Elephant and Wheelbarrow in Lake Street (though no football shirts allowed)
or Rosie O’Grady’s (typical Irish theme pub) in James Street.  At a stretch,
try the Brass Monkey on the corner of William and James Street.  Pretty safe
when inside.

*          Of the pubs nearest the ground, the Brisbane is very up-market
(Australian Pub of the Year a couple of times in its 5 year post-renovation
phase) and will probably not allow football shirts in.  The Queens has a
slightly more relaxed dress code but is still a great pub.  The Flying
Scotsman is grungy, friendly and Friday night is lesbian night (!).  All
three of these are in Beaufort Street, Highgate/Mount Lawley.  The Hyde Park
Hotel on the corner of Fitzgerald and Bulwer Street, North Perth is the home
of the Glory Shed Boys.  The Hotel Northbridge (on the fringe of the dodgy
bit) in Brisbane Street is probably your best bet and is about a 10 minute
walk to the ground (it also has accommodation).

*          Slightly further afield, there are some nice restaurants and pubs
in East Perth, on the new canal development.  The Royal (60 Royal Street) is
right on the water and serves reasonable pub grub.  It’s a good 25 min walk
to the ground.

*          In the City, your best bets are The Moon and Sixpence in Hay
Street and Bobby Dazzlers next door.  A bit further up (West) are Carnegie’s
and the Belgian Beer Café – but both will be packed on a Friday night with
the office crowd

*          A good curry (and I know that’s almost your national dish in the
Black Country) can be found at Gogo’s in Beaufort Street, just up from the
Queens (see above).

*          Overall, the best areas to spend your evenings in close to the
City are Highgate/Mount Lawley, Leederville and Subiaco.  At a stretch Mount
Hawthorn.

I should point out that I am a member of Pompey Down Under (“PDU”), the
official Pompey supporters club for Australia, which has its HQ in Perth.
We have our meeting this Wednesday and I was wondering whether you would
like me to mention your impending invasion.  Nothing unsavory - just a
chance to catch up for a few beers at our club venue or to arrange a social
football match.  We did it with the Cardiff guys before the Cup Final last
year (ah, memories).

Have a great trip and please don’t be upset at Marcus for letting a
potential enemy into your social circle.

Regards,

Peter Marchant
PUP-PPU

P.S.  Fulham will be here as well.  I may well send a similar e-mail to both
of their fans!!!