Inserting \page works.

I don't know why the pagebreak occurs as the \subject heading is directly followed by a text paragraph without any extra spacing. The heading are using the ConTeXt default setup, with the exception of setting the head in color. The only command which influences spacing is \setupwhitespace[big].

I guess that the penalty for the pagebreak is higher than that of having a pagebreak after the heading.

In any case thanks for the help.

Frank