Hi,

>>Would it break anything to remove the LaTeX check?
>
> no, apart from being less polite to ths confused user ; btw, why does
> it need to be removed?

Well, it does not really have to be removed. The only thing that I
think is unnecessary is that ConTeXt defines \documentclass. IMO it
is not a good habit that any other macro package besides LaTeX
defines \documentclass (unless, of course, absoultely necessary). So
my suggestion is to use something like

\ifx\documentclass\undefined\else
  \global\def\documentclass  {\showmessage\m!systems3\empty\stoptext}
\fi

instead. We can forget about \documentstyle, since latex2.09 is
ancient history.

There might be more tex-macros out ther than soul.sty that are mostly
macro package independant but looks for LaTeX by checking for
\documentclass.

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl