At 13:23 11/10/2003, you wrote:
\startembarrassment
I found out what caused the strange behavior. I was testing the font in a directory where there was also an old instance of the .tfm-file. So Context would search the working directory, find everything it needed to produce the font, and thus neglect all the new stuff I had modified and installed into $home/texmf. Performing the tests in a different directory removed all the unexplicable behavior.
\stopembarrassment

in texmf.cnf you can see how paths are configured, some paths indeed have . as first path to consult; in general, context itself will look for source files in

./
../.
../../.
tex input paths

but fonts and alike are out of context's control