At 00:53 16/10/2003, you wrote:
On Tuesday 14 October 2003 19:11, George N. White III wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, John Culleton wrote:
> > I installed the latest version of TeXLive 2003 (the so-called
> > demo version) and did the fmtutil and texhash bit.  When I ran a
> > job for a customer, texexec hung up at the point where a graphic
> > was being loaded. So I went back to last year's texlive in a
> > terrible hurry. That worked fine.
>
> What platform?
Slackware 9.1
I reinstalled 2002 TeXlive to get my customer's job out the door.
That worked. Then I downloaded the latest Context zip file. That
didn't work for some reason. Fmtutil failed on pdftex and pdfetex.
Then I reinstalled TeXLive 2003, the only change being that I did not
first wipe out the web2c directory. Now TeXlive seems to work. As you
may have noticed, the TeXlive installation program doesn't wipe out
an existing web2c.  Just why retaining an old web2c directory helps
things along I don't know.

Wipe out and set variables like the folowing (in a start up script), just to make sure that preinstalled tex's got lost:

TEXROOT=$1
export TEXROOT

TEXMFMAIN=$TEXROOT/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL=$TEXROOT/texmf-local
TEXMFFONTS=$TEXROOT/texmf-fonts
TEXMFPROJECT=$TEXROOT/texmf-project
TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux
VARTEXMF=$TMP/texmf-var

export TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFLOCAL
export TEXMFPROJECT
export TEXMFFONTS
export TEXMFOS
export VARTEXMF

PATH=$TEXMFOS/bin:$PATH
export PATH

HOMETEXMF=/nonexist
export HOMETEXMF

TEXMFCNF=$TEXROOT/texmf{-local,}/web2c
TEXMF='{$TEXMFOS,$TEXMFPROJECT,$TEXMFFONTS,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}'
TEXFORMATS=$TEXMFOS/web2c
TEXPOOL=$TEXFORMATS
MPPOOL=$TEXFORMATS

export TEXMFCNF