At 07:05 29/01/2004, you wrote:
Hartmut Henkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:40:59PM CET]:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>
> > Error: pdfetex (file ./rimg0016.jpg): reading JPEG image failed
>
> Seems there are only a few error possibilities in some function
> read_jpg_info(). Could you put the image online for checking?

Certainly: http://www.panix.com/~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg

I have sidestepped the problem by converting the images with help
of ImageMagick. The resulting JPEG images are processed without
problems.

On windows this produced a stand alone pdf graphic:

\starttext \startTEXpage \externalfigure[finger.jpg] \stopTEXpage \stoptext

For the brave, the next also works:

\starttext \startTEXpage \externalfigure[http://www.panix.com/\string~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg] \stopTEXpage \stoptext

However, texexec --pdf --fig=c finger.jpg faisl because texutil cannot read the jpg banner, so there is something with the file.

On the other hand,

identify.rb finger.jpg

gives me:

http://www.pragma-pod.com/downloads/whatever/graphics.pdf