Thursday, February 12, 2004 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,

> A numexpr either ends with a \relax or is delimited by ()

> So, the following works as expected:

>    \number\numexpr(1) test

> but ... the following gives an error message:

>    \number\numexpr(1) /test

> so, the expr parser looks beyond the ) which is rather strange; bug or
> feature?

It's WAD (Working As Desgined). I.e., it's a feature. The
manual clearly states that an expression is "initiated by one
of the commands \numexpr, \dimexpr, \glueexpr, or \muexpr and
optionally terminated by one \relax (that will be absorbed by
the scanning mechanism)".

() are only used to limit *sub*expression.

Observe that this is congruent with the TeX way of scanning for
assignments.

So always put a \relax after an expression :)

> (those expr are behaving a bit strange anyway)

What other problems are you having? Keep in mind the limited
precision TeX works with.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta