At 15:35 18/02/2004, you wrote:
Hans—

Many thanks. That does the trick very nicely.

Is there a manual or the like that I have missed which documents this command, \installpagebreakhandler, and others such as \useURL and \setupinteraction? (I am interested in the latter, because inserting a blue, underlined URL for email in my output has curiously enough turned by footnote numbers blue.)

no, these commands are not in a manual, but one can find them in the source code; the \install.. ones are real low level; the \definepagebreak[whatever][yes] one is public.