At 09:17 17/02/2004, Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
Sorry for going back to an older thread, but I don't think the question was answered properly. Alexander Klink wanted to know how to typeset "{" and "}". Suggestions were "\type|{| and \type|}|" or "$\{$ and $\}$". Neither of which is satisfactory, because it will typeset them either in typewriter or in math font. We had a discussion about similar questions a while ago. I still think we should have "\{" and "\}" for
this kind of thing. As long as this isn't available, I see no better solution than "\getglyph{Serif}{123}" and "\getglyph{Serif}{125}" vel. sim. For those of us working in the humanities, these curly braces are sometimes necessary (e.g., in critical editions), and having them in typewriter or math fonts isn't acceptable. So may I continue my rally for \{ etc.?

The problem is that the cmr fonts are not that complete. Once we switch to the lmr fonts, this problem will disappear (sincethen we can use other encoding vectors)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE/POD/CTS