At 11:58 10/03/2004, you wrote:
Some time ago Hans recommended the use of \startlinecorrection...\stoplinecorrection surrounding a figure.

more precisely: around boxed material; in most 'normal' cases context will handle spacing automatically

Typically I write a paragraph and then have a double carriagereturn and then a floating figure and then a double carriagereturn. The normal paragraph space does not always appear so I surround the figure by linecorrection and then find that the paragraph spacing is slightly larger than usual.

details.pdf discusses some of these spacing issues

Are there any rules for this. If necessary I will try to produce a minimal example although I tend to notice the problem once a document has become fairly long.

minimal example indeed -)