On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:18:57 +0100
Uwe Koloska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > For a larger project with ConTeXt that should not depend on
> > the availability of perl. We needed a very large section of
> > Texutil (--ref and --figures), so it made sense to port the
> > entire program to C.
>
> What about using another script language like TCL that can be
> made into a single file executable?  The dependency seems to be

I knew how to get the job done quickly in C, not in TCL.
Also there are some extra runtime requirements like:
        "not bigger nor slower than necessary".

The C version runs quite a bit faster. The compiled C code is a
lot smaller than including an interpreter. texutil.c links easily
to tex.c (and tex.rb would have been a bit too much work ;)). etc.

Incidentally: yes, I have a tex.c. That may in fact become GPL-ed
sometime in the future, if and when our finished project deviates
sufficiently from tex.c+texutil.c