Hi Patrick,

first I want to say that I already spent several hours on that problem and was happy to reduce the file size to 5215 Bytes. Of course I could have done further but I thought that the file is now handy enough for debugging. (I do not know how TeX code is debugged and what tools are available for that task.)

> btw: with the error related to other files in the directory: did you > run texutil --purgeall for testing?

Yes, I removed all temporary files. But the strange behaviour remains: when all images except that of the used external figure are removed then the error disappears.

--Stefan

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
Hello Stefan,

I prunned the example to investigate the situation further. Now I have
only two pages.

Well, how do you think anybody should be able to debug what you have
done with all the stuff in your document?

You should definitely try to reduce the file size to a minimum,
otherwise it is hard to track the problem down.

minimum is far from 150 kb. And please avoid external figures if
possible (there is cow.pdf hacker.jpg and mill.png for download, so
we can all have the same figures to experiment with).

Please do your homework yourself next time:

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\usetypescript[adobekb][texnansi]
\usetypescript[postscript][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,ss,13pt]

\setupheadertexts[text][\_][]

\starttext
\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \par}

\externalfigure[cow][scale=1424]

\externalfigure[cow][scale=1424]

Is the minimal test file I've come up with. Perhaps now it is easier
for Hans to track down the problem.  The error message is:

! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text> $
<to be read again> _
\_...fmmode \mathunderscore \else \textunderscore \fi <argument> \_
{}{}{}
\firstoftwoarguments #1#2->#1
\doattributes ...sname [EMAIL PROTECTED] \endcsname \fi {#4
}\dostopattributes ...

btw: with the error related to other files in the directory: did you
run texutil --purgeall for testing?

Patrick