There will no doubt be a clean solution using \setuphead, but I do not
know off-hand how to and have not enough time to try things.
You could use a hack like this:

        \chapter{\llap{\externalfigure[mini.png]~~}whatever}

which is not nice, but more or less functional.

        \setuphead[chapter][margin=1in]

can be used to control the left indent.

--
groeten,