Hans Hagen wrote:
Mojca Miklavec wrote:

system(texexec --batch --output=dvips --mpformat=metafun --mptex --nomp --once
x-origin-mpgraph)...disabled.

run:

  kpsewhich texmf.cnf

and search in that file for write18, enable it and your setup will work

Hans

Thanks a lot to both of you. It finally works. The line I had to change was in miktex.ini. (I never had to bother about MikTeX specific issues till now and I didn't expect the problem to lie so deep in the system.)

Thanks,
        Mojca

Now I've found a couple of old posts with more or less the same problem on this and some other mailing lists, but I didn't know what to look for before. Would it make sense to add just a short hint for newbies somewhere at the beginning of the manual, warning that write18 has to be enabled in order to process some graphics properly?