Hans Hagen wrote:
Matthias Weber wrote:

Thanks Hans, this was most helpful!

I have another question, though:
After looking at various 'built-in' documentation styles I am wondering about the best way
to modify one of these. I couldn't find any documentation besides how to use the
styles as they are. So, if I want to make (say) the "green style" blue and with smaller buttons,
are there setups for this? If yes, do I learn about these by looking at the source, or, if no,
do I copy the source and try my best to mess around with it?

just overload them in your own style:

yourstyle.tex :

\usemodule[pre-green]

.. your modufications ..

yourdocument.tex:

\environment yourstyle

.. the text ..

I didn't figure out yet how to know which s-pre-xx.tex defines which style, but if you want to use and modify the green one, take a look at s-pre-02.tex or even better: general/sources/s-pre-02.pdf at pragma-ade website. The documentation there is not visual (like in other manuals), but pretty self-evident for someone with at least some minimal experience with ConTeXt.

To change the background color, after finding the following line in s-pre-02.tex:
\definecolor [OrnamentColor] [r= 0, g=.7, b=.4]

it is not difficult to guess that an additional line anywhere at the beginning of your document or style file, like:
\definecolor [OrnamentColor] [r= 0, g=.4, b=.7]
will change the color from green to blue.

To get smaller buttons, notice the \bottomheight used overall where the buttons are drawn. (In page-run.tex you can see that that 'bottom' is resposnsible to set the proper bottomheight.) So
\setuplayout[bottom=.4cm]
should solve your problem. If you want to change the look of buttons more dramatically, simply copy and modify the lines:

\startuniqueMPgraphic{RightArrow}{height}
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

You can try to play with single portions of settings. A very beautiful thing in TeX is that one definition simply overloads the other, so it's not too difficult to modify a properly designed style.

Regards, Mojca Miklavec