Christopher Creutzig wrote:
Hans Hagen wrote:

first of all, \protected is not what you think it is; i had a \protected before etex was around; the context name is \unexpanded

Ok, then what's \protected? Is it performing an \unprotect/\protect pair around the definition? But then, why did it work?

\let\unprotectedlongrightarrow\longrightarrow
\unexpanded\def\longrightarrow{\unprotectedlongrightarrow}

ah, i though that you wanted the etex \protected -)

in context protext/unprotect is to be used when ! @ ? are used inmacro names which was not the case here

Yes, I'd though of that, I justwanted to know if there is some higher level version already existing.

nop