Mojca Miklavec wrote:

But when I switched to ConTeXt I came against that problem again.

In LaTeX I used
    \v{c}\v{s}\v{z}

this also works in context

at first, later
    \usepackage{csz} ... "c"s"z

in this case, i assume that csz makes " active and such; if you really want that , we shoul dmake an enco-fcz, with definitions like:

\startlanguagespecifics[cz]

  \appendtoks \makecharacteractive " \to \everynormalcatcodes

  \installcompoundcharacter "c {\v{c}}
  \installcompoundcharacter "s {\v{s}}
  \installcompoundcharacter "z {\v{z}}

\stoplanguagespecifics

and alike; if you want utf, you should say (at the top of the file)

\enableregime[utf]

As I didn't know how to use any other the font, I always used CMR, the default, so I didn't have problems with exotic fonts either.

this should work with all fonts, since there are fallback definitions

    % output=pdf -translate-file=cp1250cs
    \setupbodyfont
        [csr,ams,rm]

try to avoid code pages

What I don't really understand: why did the Chech TUG have to design *their own font*, csr, (or made changes to cmr) if accented characters worked perfectly already in plain TeX?

in cmr \v{s} is actually two characters, while in csr it's one (composed) character (built of two characters but seen as one); therefore when you use csr fonts, you can get proper hyphenation (which is notthe case in cmr where the usage of \accent primitive spoils the game);

next year, when i can assume that the new latin modern fonts are available everywhere, i will drop cmr as default cum suis in favor of lsr (which has cmr, plr, csr, vnr, aer etc included)

The second problem: This works under Windows when typesetting in code page 1250. How can I use accented characters if text is typeset in Unicode (or latin2) in Linux?

you probably need to configure you reditor to use utf

The third problem: How do I typeset '\v{c}' in some other font? I do understand that it may not function in just any font since someone has to tell the computer how the accented characters are built, but as long as \v{c} works, there's no reason for
\useencoding[utf8]
and then continuing with unicode encoded characters not to produce the desired result.

don't worry, other fonts work ok; if an encoding does not support the chars you need, a composed char is constructed; [font encodings have othing to do with input encoding but there do influence hyphenations]

if i'm right, ec, texnansi, and qx encoding all serve your purpose