John Culleton wrote:
On Monday 27 December 2004 06:33, Adam Lindsay wrote:

plus-rul is interesting, but I'm 98% certain that when John talks about
sidebars, he means what you call intermezzos. My interpretation, using
the things I do know (or figured out this morning):

\setupfloat [intermezzo]
  [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   default=outer]
\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]
\starttext
\showframe
\input ward
\placeintermezzo{}{\framedtext[width=7cm]{\tfx\input dawkins }}
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth \par}
\stoptext

What I don't know, however, is: 1) how to force a width on flowed text
within a float without resorting to the internal \framedtext, or 2) how
to use this with \splitfloat, which is what I suspect people who think
about sidebars (intermezzo texts) are going to be worried about in a
batch-based system.

For my applications I don't need a lengthy sidebar that will overflow to another page.

I ran Adam's code as is and noted with interest the results. Then I added the gray background, rounded corners etc. Some things are still problems.

1. Two words in the main text (both "influenced") actually intrude into the sidebar.

1a. One word in the sidebar ("influencing") overflows the dimensions of the background. (but see 3 below.)

2. If I specify a background screen and a frame with rounded corners the background remains rectangular and does not round to match the frame.

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\framed[corner=round,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]{HELLO}

\framed[corner=round,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.6]{HELLO}

\setupfloat
  [intermezzo]
  [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   default=outer]

\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]

\defineframedtext
  [myohmy]
  [width=7cm,bodyfont=small,corner=round,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.6]

\showframe
\input ward
\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy \input dawkins \relax\stopmyohmy}
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth \par}