Assuming I understood Hans correctly, then using a new ConTeXt (starting november) together with TL2004 or the latest tetex-beta, all should be fine. Alternatively, an older ConTeXt (june) with an older tetex or texlive should also be fine.

All combinations of new and old are apparently broken. Blame the
TL guys if you must, because they are the ones that keep changing
the filenames of the hyphenation patterns.

Greetings, Taco