Gary wrote:
Some months ago I stopped upgrading ConTeXt. Here and there I saw references to new file hierarchies, and something about installation scripts ... if I remember correctly. I didn't want to break my system, so I just stopped upgrading, and stopped reading those messages (which I didn't understand, anyway).

I'm currently using MikTeX.

1.) Concerning file hierarchy: did something monumental indeed ocurr that I ignored?

enc and map files as well as scripts are now in new locations, i assume that miktex has been adapted to that

2.) If so, is it safe to upgrade?

miktex has a good reputation or upgrading

3.) Is there some other way besides my traditional method of unzipping cont-tmf.zip file into /localtexmf ? Do I need to rebuild the file system?

no, you can unzip, run "textools --fixtexmf --force", regenerate the database, and cross your fingers

4.) Have I misinterpreted, and nothing much has changed?

thing shave changed, e,g, the pdftex cfg file is gone now; no real problem for context since it never depended on that; the danger is in partially upgrading: a new pdftex will not work in an old tree

Sorry about this. I really want to avoid getting my system into some strange state, and spending hours unraveling the mystery. Done that too many times in my life.

i do my best to avoid problem sfo rusers, but some things are out of my control