Thanks Matt... after reading a few more sites, I was led back to trying:

texfont --fontroot=$HOME/Library/texmf --vendor=adobe
--collection=utopia --makepath --install

This creates a tree in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/utopia where * is
either afm, tfm, type1, or vf.  I also get
$HOME/Library/texmf/map/pdftex/context/texnansi-adobe-utopia.map which
I've added to my pdftex.cfg and run texhash.  Unfortunately, I still
get CM fonts for the caps and there are no old-style figures?

---
\usetypescript[fourier][ec]
\setupbodyfont[fourier]

\starttext
This is Fourier roman, {\it italic,} {\bf bold,} and {\bi bold-italic.}

{\em \bf This is also bold-italic.}

We have {\sc small caps} and old-style figures: {\os 0123456789}.
\stoptext
---

Comparing type-enc.tex and the suggestions on Bill McClain's site, the
typescript definitions are somewhat different and I'm wondering if
this isn't the source of my problems:

\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]              [futr8t]   [encoding=ec]
    vs.
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]          [texnansi-futr8t ]
[encoding=texnansi]

Any further hints are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Randall