In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
So how would you start an absolute newbie to e.g., Context and pdfetex?

[Apologies if you get this twice - first time I used the wrong email identity so I think that the list server has quarantined or deleted it.]

Mswintex.zip is another option for a basic (Context only) setup that avoids the frighteningly large list of checkbox options presented by MikTeX. The only problems I had installing mswintex.zip were in trying to find any installation instructions. :-) (Note to Hans: if installation instructions do exist then please make them more obvious.)

So I wrote my own :-) which I have attached and which you are welcome to use freely. The only caveat is that I already had ActiveState Perl installed on my machine so I don't know whether it needs to be installed separately in order to make texexec work or whether mswintex.zip handles this on its own as well. I would be grateful if you could check this out for me.

If the instructions do work then please also let Hans know and maybe he could add them to the mswintex.zip distribution? No need to keep my name in there - people might start asking me for help (which would be bad for them). ;-)

Regards,
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, UK