On 22 Mar 2005, at 20:40, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

Now it works. Very nice and clear ways to get it.
But both goodies don't work with OSX's Helvetica.dfont

If you try it with the .ttf you'll get:

Error: pdfetex (file Helvetica.ttf): can't find table `OS/2'
 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

Yes, I've run into that before: Apple doesn't include some "compatibility" tables (that TeX-centric utilities rely upon) in some of their platform fonts. I haven't found a good way to work with those TTFs.

And if instead you use the .pfb
then you'll get the misplaced macrons and tildes that I've reported.

Just try this:

\loadmapline[+Helvetica Helvetica " TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc <Helvetica.pfb]
\starttext
\definedfont[Helvetica]
TAVAT.Po
T{}A{}V{}A{}T{}.{}P{}o

\showfont[Helvetica] R\d{o} R{\=o} R\~o
\page\showcharacters
\stoptext

Hum. I haven't tried to replicate that here, but that looks like it might be an encoding problem: ConTeXt doesn't know that you're using a texnansi encoding, so it synthesises the characters using the definitions in enco-def. Is the above file the only way you tested it?

Does this help?

\loadmapline[+Helvetica Helvetica " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc <Helvetica.pfb]
\definefontsynonym[texnansi-Helvetica][Helvetica][encoding=texnansi]

\starttext
\definedfont[texnansi-Helvetica]
R\d{o} R{\=o} R\~o
\stoptext

I know the HelveticaNeue is more beautiful ... but nevertheless it would be interesting why there is the above error (and how it can be solved).

I do think you're being greedy, but I have to admit I'm curious, too!

adam