Hi Hans,

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>at the moment the best way of dealing with is is to use texexec's engine
handler;

>locate texexec.ini (or rme) and set
>
>set UseEnginePath to true
>
>after that pdfetex, aleph, xetex, mpost etc will end up on their own path.

I have done that previously and, yes, I do get the subdirectories. But that's
not the problem. The problem is that aleph is searching for its format in
pdfetex's subdirectory:

This is Aleph, Version 3.141592-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (Web2c 7.5.3)
 \write18 enabled.
Copyright (c) 2002--2004 the Aleph task force
---! c:\CONTEXT\tex\texmf-mswin/web2c/pdfetex/cont-en.fmt was written by
pdfetex

How do we make aleph search its own subdirectory?

Just to be sure, texexec --verbose gives

setting : 'UseEnginePath' to 'true' for 'all'

Best
Idris