Adam Lindsay wrote:
Steffen Wolfrum said this at Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:16:22 +0100:

Taco Hoekwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> BTW:
>
> Is there also a command to translate TFM (and VF) files to AFM or
> another human readable format and back again?

There exist the Knuthian programs tftopl (for tfm only) and
vftovp (for virtual fonts) that convert to 'property list'
format. The format is an ASCCI representation, but Whether or
not you think this is human readable depends on what kind of
human you are ;-)

Anyway, the commands should be part of your installation already.

Taco

The idea was to translate TFM (and VF?) in a readable format, and back again, in order to be able of making little kerning adjustments:
When the font is already Tex-installed and in use, but finally there is one kerning pair that doesn't look good enough, I wanted to be able to make this particular adjustment in the kerning table without starting from AFM and going the whole conversion and installation way again.

That's the idea behind the Property List format. pltotf (and vptovf) will go in the other direction.

??? I do not thing so.

Just like you want:
*.tfm --tftppl--> *.pl --editor--> *.pl --pltotf--> *.tfm

Kerning table *is* present in the Property list.

vit