Patrick Gundlach wrote:
[...]

We are in a fully programmable environment,
and it is extremely unConTeXtish to hack the visual appearance.

I am an XML author, so am pretty amazed to hear that one should not mix appearance and content in ConTeXt. Most of a ConTeXt document involves visual appearance. What is one saying when one writes \blank[12pt]?

This is visual appearance, of cource. But I am not talking about one
single instance of \blank anywhere, I am talking about changing a
reaeated statement (like the footnotes) by visual means. And
formatting instructions have no right to exist there (in fact they
should be filtered out by \sanitizelogigalmarkup{\footnote...}. This
is one of the great advantages of using a high level language such as
LaTeX or ConTeXt (and ConTeXt so much more than LaTeX) that we can
define layout in this way.

to this i can add that concerning the blank, one preferably should follow the indirect approach, thereby avoiding hard coded numbers in the document source

\defineblank[mybig][33pt]

\blank[mybig]