Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
Hi Peter

===== Original Message From Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
I'm typesetting a text with some citations in nineteenth-century Dutch
and French, in which I don't want hyphenation. How can this be done?

I now have two macros:
\def\stophyph{\pretolerance=15000\tolerance=400}
\def\starthyph{\pretolerance=200\tolerance=400}

At the beginning of every citation I enter \stophyph{} and at the end
\starthyph{}. But the cited words are still hyphenated.

Here is a better approach:

\setupoutput[pdftex]%

\installlanguage[NH][lefthyphenmin=100,righthyphenmin=100]

\starttext

\language[NH]

\input knuth

\language[en]

\input knuth

Even better, take the definition of [nl] in type-ger.tex and add it to \installlanguage[NH].

Hans: the following would be nice to have:

\setuplanguage[<name>][hyphenation=off]

i must think this over, since normally when a language has no patterns it's off anyway

\definelanguage[mine][default=en,patterns=]

not sure if that works as expected

Putting single words in a mbox also doesn't help... ;(

mbox?!? Dost thou blaspheme!?!
:-)

-)

how about using \setupalign[nothyphenated] (or \nohyphens)

btw, i recently saw things like

there was this guy called \hbox {Idris} ... (another 10 times this hbox)

where of course the best solution is

\hyphenation{Idris} at the top of your document, i.e. add such names to the dictionary but do not provide