Thanks to all who responded.

So there seems to be three candidates, Scite, TeXnicenter and
texmfstart. Does Scite require that the newbie user also install
and configure Ruby? Or is there an exe available that just runs?
I am reading the Steve Peter paper which seems to imply that Ruby
is required.

Just download mswintex.zip from http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download-1.htm
Unzip, make a directory to drop everything into [I just made a C:\Context], and make a link to
C:\Context\cstart.bat on your desktop: ready to go.
This Scite-version is very well integrated with Context. Building is just a click [F7] away, Acrobat pops up automatically, etc.
Don't know if you have to install Perl, I already had that.

Good luck,