Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
Practical example: when I set up palatino, the typescript
file set 'modern' as the typeface (which again tries to load
the lm files :))

Assume now that I want to overrule that choice, and only
that choice. Can I do this from within my source file?

one problem is that a typescript not always defines rm, ss tt mm so that leaves you with holes in your font system; one option is to nil the preloader in for instance the palatino typescript; put this in your local copy of cont-sys.tex:

\let\preloadfonts\relax
\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]