Dear all:

I just conducted some follow up experiments on my previous questions,
and found out that...

(1) In re producing run-in text following a subsection header:  neither
[after={\blank[none]},] nor [after=\nowhitespace,] have any impact:
I still get the subsection header on one line, and the text on the
next line.

(2) In re horizontal alignment, I guess there is some sort of
inheritance going on here?  In the setup below, I had hoped to
obtain the section header in the middle, and the subsection header
flush left, since "subsection" had not be re-defined at all.
However, once I define section to be [align=middle,], the
remaining headers follow suit, even when no \setuphead command
is written for them:

\setuphead[section][
    align=middle,
    ]

\starttext
\section{Will this work?}Hello world!  So here comes a
subsection that, not having been defined, would ideally
display at the default location, which is flush left.

\subsection{Is this flush left?}No, it isn't.