Hi there!

Here is another suggestion for something that I'd like to do with ConTeXt but can't hack myself:

There's a nice music typesetting program called GNU LilyPond (www.lilypond.org); in opposite to some years before it now engraves really beautiful music sheets. (MusiXTeX seems to be no alternative, it seems to be stuck with bitmap fonts and other uglities.)

LilyPond has also a nice integration with LaTeX to typeset songbooks, educational material etc. Have a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out- www/lilypond/LilyPond_002dbook.html

I'd like to see (and use) a similar integration with ConTeXt - I guess it's similar to MetaPost integration: - support for inline code, i.e. \startLilyPond (LilyPond code) \stopLilyPond or \LilyPond{short code sample} - support for complete files (there's \lilypondfile in the LaTeX variant, like \import)

For LaTeX the integration runs via a preprocessor (lilypond-book) that typesets the LilyPond parts and replaces them with graphics (as fas as I understand). I guess if one could use similar techniques like for the MetaPost integration, the LP integration in ConTeXt could be even tighter (and more comfortable) than for LaTeX.

As far as I understand, LilyPond natively writes PostScript code and (usually) calls GhostScript to make a PDF. (Before it produced DVI, but they dropped it.)

Does this sound like an interesting job for someone? I'd even offer a small bounty to get it done.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net