Vit Zyka wrote:

Hans, did you think about Petr Olsak's enc-tex? I believe it is much straight-forward solution that solve input enco, output to files and output to log (utf8 works too). And it should be much quicker than macros. I am not sure, but perhaps there is no patch to aleph now...

i took a look at it when it came around but it's not flexible enough; it deals with the input and part of the output; i asked the author to consider some extensions that would it make possible to deal with multiple output variants (keep in mind that some input data may need to be fed into pdf specific data structures, in different encodings, with different kind of escapes etc) and that in for instance buffers, verbatim, multi-pass data and other situations one may need the original input; it all depends on how a macro package is build and deals with data and also with the complexity of the applications. Live is simply not simple. What works for latex or plain tex may not work for context and vise versa. So, when i noticed the 'just use it and don't ask' attitude i gave up on enctex or at least decided to postpone support till i ran into a Of course anyone is free to overload the relevant pieces of the regime handler. I suppose that putting some enctex mapper in front of it works ok (i.e. as long as one either expands to raw characters in the current encoding or to named glyphs. now back to the issue: I uploaded a new version (while crossing my fingers); the problem with this uppercasing is that handling (font) characters is one thing, handling inputs another oif not to speak of commands, and other things that can end up inside WORD and then be subjected to uppercasing \def\Vit{Vit} \WORD{\Vit} -> VIT
\def\Vit{whatever} \WORD{\Vit} -> WHATEVER

\startencoding[ec]
 \defineuppercasecom \Vit {nothing}
\stopencoding

\def\Vit{whatever} \WORD{\Vit} -> nothing so, there is much more involved; i change a few things (i fear that taco is the only one who now understand what's going on but you may give it a try -)
(\chardef\uppercasemode\plusone gives the old behaviour)

The problem with this kind of things is that it will not become esier to solve when we have a different tex or so ... there are simply too many variants / usages / ...)