Thank you for your replies. They helped. I need two more twiks...
Twik 1:
My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
last word in the sentence.
Example:
Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
How do I instruct context to give me some room before printing the  asterisk?

Second twik:
How to control the distance between the page text and the line that separates
the footnote and the page text?
I tried the "distance=", the "height="  arguments in the
setupfootnotes, but they don't do
what I want.
thank you
Ciro