Replying to myself (sorry); I discovered the answer to one of these questions already.

At 01:39 PM 9/3/2005, I wrote:
6. When I reference a footnote's number using \note[ref], I get the number typeset as a superscript. This looks a little odd to me in sentences such as "See footnote \note[ref] on the previous page" -- it would look better if the number (or symbol) were typeset in the normal font. Is there another way to reference it so as to do that?

It is, indeed, possible to reference footnotes in the usual way for other references, with \in{}[] and \at{}[], and they act as one would expect.

(I haven't investigated whether \note[] works for non-footnote references. :)

- Brooks