Thank you Taco.
This is exactly what i needed!

btw. I think I need to do layouts more often. What is good litterature about this subject?

Boris

From:  Taco Hoekwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:  Re: [NTG-context] help at layout
Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:22:21 +0200

Boris Pedrofiets wrote:
Hello,
I want to make a layout where a vertical line is putted at the rigth of the left margin. Capters and paragraphs must indent in the left margin, and be boxed.
Someting like:

The important trick is to define a special command that does the
typesetting  of the chapter number + text, I hope you're not too
scared of low-level TeX, because in the actual example below I've
added  some low-level stuff to fiddle with the outdent.

This is the basic setup for the chapter command:

  \setupcolors[state=start]

  \def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
    {\framed[background=color,
             backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}

  \setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]

The color commands are needed so that the background of the
chapter head overwrites the line in the margin. That line
is a single command, btw:

  \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]

Also, I've added a \blank in the example below so that a bit
of the line sticks out above the framed text, that looks
better, I think.

You can look up other options for \setupbackgrounds, \framed and
\setuphead in http://texshow.contextgarden.net, or use your local 'texshow' command.

Greetings, Taco

% start
\setupcolors[state=start]

\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]

\newdimen\outdentchapter

\outdentchapter=1cm % change this for more or less outdent

\def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
   {\advance\hsize\outdentchapter
    \vbox
      {\moveleft\outdentchapter
       \vbox
          {\blank[2*line]
           \framed[background=color,
                   backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}}}

\setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]

\starttext

\chapter{The first chapter}

\input knuth

\stoptext